Are you interested in art? Want to work in an exciting, fast-paced museum environment with other creative teens?
The Asian Art Museum’s Art Speak internship offers on-the-job training and monthly stipends to five San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) students in grades 10–12. Interns discover Asian art and cultural traditions, and learn about local artists, conduct informational interviews with museum staff to explore careers in the arts, and develop their leadership skills facilitating art activities with the general public.
The Art Speak internship is a paid ten-month experience that runs from August 2015–May 2016. Interns are onsite Thursdays after school and Sunday, with occasional Saturdays as needed, and are expected to commit eight hours each week.
What Will I Do at the Museum?
- Discover the art and cultural traditions of Asia and learn about special exhibitions and the museum collection.
- Create hands-on art activities and other materials for learning about art and culture.
- Develop and lead art activities on bi-monthly Family Fun Days, cultural celebrations and public programs.
- Learn about the Bay Area arts scene and workshop with local artists.
- Get together with like-minded teens working at other SF museums.
- Meet museum staff and learn about running a world-class arts organization.
- Use social media to build an online youth presence and generate interest in the museum’s programs.
Am I Eligible?
- SFUSD high school students in good standing in grades 10, 11 and 12.
- Outgoing individuals eager to share their artistic skills by teaching museum visitors.
- Anyone who can commit to being at the museum eight hours a week.
- Teens interested in art making, art history, Asian culture, museums, writing, social media and arts education.
- Artistic, responsible, self-motivated, enthusiastic teens excited about working in a creative environment.
- Youth who are comfortable interacting with the public and enjoy meeting new people.
What’s In It for Me?
- Monthly paycheck based on the California minimum wage.
- School credit (if applicable; must be confirmed through your school before applying).
- Teen Pass membership—FREE yearlong museum membership and access to programs and exhibitions.
- Spending time with other artistic teens, professional artists and museum staff.
- Opportunities to expand your skill set and build your portfolio.
- Field trips to other museums and art spaces.
- Rich experience for resumes, jobs, and college applications.