Tell me a fact and I will learn
Tell me a truth and I will believe
But tell me a story and it will live in my heart forever.
Asian Art Museum Storytellers deliver specialized tours that engage visitors with works of art through stories. Storytellers conduct school programs during the week, and public tours during the weekend. Storytellers engage visitors of all ages with a focus on children pre-K through middle school and their adult companions. Programs take place in the museum’s collection galleries as well as special exhibitions.
- Storytelling volunteers report to the museum’s Education department.
- Mandatory training and mentoring is provided by the museum.
Expectations of Storytelling Volunteers
- A special interest in school and multi-generational audiences.
- An interest in learning about the arts, cultures, and stories of Asia.
- Familiarity with and access to a computer for correspondence and scheduling.
- A warm, outgoing, and enthusiastic attitude with clear verbal communication skills.
- Dependable, accountable, and trustworthy – reliable and punctual for volunteer assignments.
- Collaborative, and able to work independently with other storytellers and teachers to provide the best experience for our visitors.
- Flexible, with an interest in working with all visitors, including those with language barriers or learning disabilities.
- A neat appearance consistent with representing the museum to our visitors.
- Because we serve a diverse audience, multilingual skills are a plus but not a requirement.
Training and Time Commitment
- We are not currently accepting applications for storytelling volunteers. If you are interested in future training opportunities, please contact Caren Gutierrez, Manager of School and Teacher Programs at 415-581-3669 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Conduct at least 14 tours per year (1-2 tours/month during the school year. Tours last about an hour).
- Complete ongoing continuing education (about 8 hours per year).
- Following graduation, commit to at least 3 years of service.
- Pay annual dues of $20.
- Maintain an active museum membership.
August 22, 2014 from 1:30–3:00 PM
Asian Art Museum Member’s Entrance
200 Larkin Street, Civic Center Plaza
Experience a real storyteller session, ask questions, and find out if it’s for you.
RSVP: Caren Gutierrez, Manager of School and Teacher Programs at 415-581-3669 or email@example.com.