Volunteers enjoy an intimate relationship with the museum, supporting and enriching the visitor experience.
Would you like to be part of the dedicated group of frontline volunteers who bring the Asian Art Museum alive for visitors? Become a valued member of the Asian Art Museum frontline volunteer team. No previous experience is required and you don’t have to be an expert in Asian art. Frontline volunteers come from all walks of life and backgrounds, from teens to senior citizens. The museum relies on the enthusiasm, energy, and commitment of more than 500 individuals – architecture guides, docents, storytellers, and frontline volunteers – to help enhance the museum experience for visitors, bringing art and people together.
What is a Frontline Volunteer?
Target Sundays (November 1 & December 6, 2015, and January 3, and February 7, 2016) Either the morning shift 9:45-1:45 or the afternoon shift 1:30-5:30. Tasks will include greeting and directing visitors as they arrive, greeting visitors at gallery entrances, or helping at the Information Desk and the Coat Check
Saturdays and Sundays during the exhibition Either the morning shift 9:45-1:45 or the afternoon shift 1:30-5:30. Tasks will include helping at the Information Desk and in the Coat Check
Saturdays during the exhibition First shift 11:00-3:00 or second shift 1:30-5:30. Tasks will include working the computerized cash register (training provided) and/or helping with customer service
Here’s a link to information about the Looking East exhibition.
Information about what the Asian Art Museum expects from volunteers and what volunteers can expect from their volunteer experience is shown below. Complete and submit your volunteer application online. We look forward to hearing from you!!
What is a Frontline Volunteer?
Frontline volunteers help either with Visitor Services (Information Desk and Coat Check) and/or in the Museum Store. Visitor Services volunteers extend visitors a friendly welcome when they first arrive; they guide visitors to locations and activities of interest. Museum Store volunteers provide excellent customer service, creating a great retail experience by helping visitors find merchandise which relates to the collection galleries and/or the special exhibitions.
Being A Frontline Volunteer
- You are at least 16 years old
- You have a specific interest in volunteering for an art museum
- You can commit to at least two 4-hour shifts each month for one year (96 hours annually)
- Have a desire to make each visitor’s experience of the Asian Art Museum a memorable one
- Have an outgoing, positive, and enthusiastic attitude; comfortable meeting and interacting with a wide variety of people using clear verbal communication skills
- Be reliable and punctual for volunteer assignments
- Show a willingness to cooperate with staff and other volunteers, accepting supervision and evaluation of your volunteer work
- Be familiar with and have access to a computer for correspondence and scheduling
- Because we serve a diverse audience, multilingual skills are a plus but not a requirement
- Be warm and welcoming to all visitors, greeting each visitor with a smile
- Have a willingness to learn what you need to know to do your volunteer assignment
- The opportunity to learn more about the Asian Art Museum’s collection and special exhibitions
- Unlimited FREE admission to the museum – including special exhibitions – any time when you are not volunteering
- Invitations to exclusive volunteer-only tours and events
- Access to the museum’s 4th floor Research Library (by appointment)
- The opportunity to volunteer with others who share similar interests and the opportunity to share your enjoyment and knowledge of the museum with visitors
- Voices newsletter, a publication written by volunteers for other volunteers and published 3 times/year
- 20% discount in the Museum Store, 10% discount in Café Asia, 20% discount on museum membership (must be an active volunteer at the time of purchase or renewal)
- Pride in representing a valued art museum to visitors from your neighborhood and from around the world
- Once you become a frontline volunteer, you’ll hear about additional volunteer opportunities around the museum
How to Apply to Become an Asian Art Museum Frontline Volunteer
Learn more or apply online using one of the links below. You can also print out an application for submission.
Work side-by-side with staff helping to create a great retail experience by providing excellent customer service.
Become an essential part of frontline operations, extending a warm welcome to visitors when they first arrive.
Volunteer applications are accepted at all times. We will keep your volunteer application on file for up to six months. You will be contacted within 2–3 weeks of receipt regarding the status of your volunteer application and/or to attend a mandatory orientation session/interview. SFUSD students applying to fulfill community service hours should check the appropriate box on the volunteer application. Volunteers applying for the summer months (May – September) must apply by May to be considered. Volunteer orientation sessions/interviews are held on the first Saturday of each month and throughout the month as needed.