Safety & SecurityPlease observe the following rules during your visit to the museum:
- Silence cell phones in the museum
- Do not touch the art. Did you know that dirt and oils from our hands can damage even the strongest-seeming works?
- Do not smoke anywhere in the building
- Do not bring in food or beverages. Food and drink from Cafe Asia must be consumed in the cafe
- Check all backpacks, umbrellas and parcels larger than 12” by 12” by 12” at Coat Check
- Shoes and shirts are required
SketchingPencil sketching is permitted in the collection galleries (second and third floors). Sketching may be prohibited in special exhibitions, which feature works on loan to the museum. Please check with our staff.
PhotographyPhotography in the collection galleries is permitted if done for personal, noncommercial use and with a hand-held camera. The use of flashes, tripods or video cameras is prohibited.
Photography is not allowed in some special exhibitions.
You cannot sell, reproduce or distribute any photographs you take in the museum without written permission from the Asian Art Museum.
If you wish to request an image or special dispensation from the museum, see the Photography and Image Rights page.