Are you interested in art? Want to work in an exciting, fast-paced museum environment with other creative teens?
The Asian Art Museum’s Art Speak internship offers on-the-job training and monthly stipends to Bay Area public high school students in grades 10–12. Interns discover Asian art and cultural traditions, and learn from local artists and arts organizations, conduct informational interviews with museum staff to explore careers in the arts, and develop their leadership skills creating and leading art activities with the general public.
The Art Speak internship is a paid nine-month experience that runs from September 2019–May 2020. Interns are onsite Thursdays after school and Sundays, with occasional Saturdays as needed, and are expected to commit six to eight hours each week.
What Will I Do at the Museum?
- Discover the art and cultural traditions of Asia and learn about special exhibitions and the museum collection.
- Create hands-on art activities and other materials for learning about art and culture.
- Develop and lead art activities on bi-monthly Family Fun Days, cultural celebrations and public programs.
- Learn about the Bay Area arts scene and workshop with local artists.
- Get together with like-minded teens working at other SF museums.
- Meet museum staff and learn about running a world-class arts organization.
- Use social media to build an online youth presence and generate interest in the museum’s programs.
Am I Eligible?
- SFUSD and East Bay public high school students in good standing in grades 10, 11 and 12.
- Teens interested in art making, art history, Asian culture, museums, writing, social media, social justice and arts education.
- Artistic, responsible, self-motivated, enthusiastic teens excited about working in a creative environment.
- Outgoing individuals eager to share their artistic skills by teaching museum visitors.
- Youth who are comfortable interacting with the public and enjoy meeting new people.
- Anyone who can commit to being at the museum eight hours a week for nine months.
What’s In It for Me?
- Monthly stipend.
- School credit (if applicable; must be confirmed through your school before applying).
- Teen Pass membership—FREE yearlong museum membership and access to programs and exhibitions.
- Spending time with other artistic teens, professional artists and museum staff.
- Opportunities to expand your skill set and build your portfolio.
- Field trips to other museums and art spaces.
- Rich experience for resumes, jobs and college applications.
How to Apply
The application period for the 2019-20 Art Speak program year is closed. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to next year’s application mailing list.